Friday, July 18, 2008

to him called "The teacher"

It was long due to post this piece about a person influenced my academic life and blessed me by being around… so here goes the salute to my teacher I hated most at one point in time and loved most at another for different reasons but both emotions had been so strong that I didnt realise the swing in them was so drastic and immense… only when i started writing it occured to me ...here are two stories from the lot of experiences which defined my relation with him….

FIRST: I was a naive kid who just hopped in to the architecture class and was proud of her skills (sketching rendering) in the very first year... I happened to do my first visual arts assignment very fast and was the first to make a model of the city square to commemorate the 50th year of independence. .. A for a change was pleased with what I made and early execution so he called the HOD to see what ever i made... i was pleased with myself and with what I made... He came ... saw and then called the whole class... he didn’t say a word in praise (neither did A) so I was brought back from a state of walking in the air to stand still and watchful... (I wasn’t pleased... being a pampered kid) ... as the whole class gathered he started narrating a story but before that he asked a question... how many of us actually and truly wished to be an architect... I guess only three hand rose and mine was one of them... he didn’t bother to wait for the answer though and started telling a story...“in this very first assignment you all did what is asked from you its a forced situation... but it is necessary.. . I would like to equate this situation with the situation of Meera bai when she first got the small idol of Krishna... ..and was asked to worship him daily... she did what was asked from her.... not more neither less... just what was asked from her.... slowly and surely as she grew up... this practice became part of her... the idol became part of her as much as she fell in love with him.... in sleep and awake... in a bright day or in the nothingness of night she could think only of Krishna... and at the end she could achieve him... became one with him... i wish you all achieve architecture in same way... now what seem to you a forced job may one day become your life and more... you may not understand the intensity with which the architectural practice is done but when it will come to you ... may you all do it with as much vigor and passion asMeera loved Krishna..."I was shocked... I had only heard from father that this guy is a great personality but it never occurred to me how great a man be to love his profession as much as Meera loved Krishna... my respect to him found its root deep in my heart that day... and the roots remain intact till date...

SECOND: I was to lead a NASA project while my batch was suppose to take responsibility of the participation. .. I was ready to work under any of my batch mates and on any project as I was the loner that time to and was away from group politics.... He was to choose the leader... I knew its me.... but my irregular attendance.. . Calling sick now and then (I was asthmatic those days and rarely used to attend classes) and bunking class for no apparent reason... and erratic behavior (I was never consistent) forced him to choose a leader from our junior batch.... I was for all good reason hurt cause I knew... I will have to work as much as i was supposed to but without a tag of leader.... he knew m hurt... but he didn’t react... the work started proceeding thanks to my good relation with juniors I could work in harmony under their leadership.. . (I had to cause I was suppose to be most inclined towards history of architecture and documentation came easy to me)... but not all was going well... I had my non agreement also... and as all know I was most vocal about them... he happened to pass by that very moment when I was pointing out the disagreement. .. while most others wanted to ignore it I wished to resolve it then and there... so that greater loss could be avoided... I was forceful and was able to convince all to resolve it then.... he entered that very moment... I was shocked to find him around.... he turned to me.... and said...." N naitritva karo netagiri nahin" I was white as the whitest willow... as the whole stock of blood is out of my body .... and was amazed cause I thought I was right... then he added " how much ever you were right.... you sounded very wrong.... forcing people to work according to you isn’t leadership.. . Its dictatorship. ... and the leader in you dies the moment you do that" I got back to may senses... I asked for the vote and people disagreed to what I was saying... we worked accordingly. ..

The two lessons are the greatest lessons of my life... as much as I learned architecture from him I learned humanity and spirituality from him.... he is one of the best teachers I ever had…

1 comment:

shipra gupta said...

Quite inspiring. Its so true, we remember the incidents n the experiences which made us the person we are. A very few people can actually have such an impact, which we remember all life long and live by those learnings....